Interview Question: Why should we hire you? – Answer
This is another tricky question which can test your nerves. This question can be asked in the following formats:
- Why should we hire you?
- Why should we hire you above other candidates?
- What will you bring to the table?
- If there is only one position, what makes you the best candidate for this job?
Why is this question asked during job interview?
An interviewer has the responsibility to get the best fit for the job. For a very competitive role, there can be many candidates who would be fulfilling the requirements of the published job description. But the perfect candidate will be the one who makes themselves stand out from the rest of the candidate.
The risk involved in hiring any candidate is very high because of the following reasons:
- The hired person might not turn out to be a good organizational fit.
- The person might not be a good team player.
- The candidate might have bluffed about few skills and sneaked in.
- The hired person might not stay long in the company.
- The candidate might not perform well during the job.
So every hiring manager wants to filter the best from the given set of candidates or even keep on asking for more referrals or applications before they close the vacancy.
How to answer this interview question?
Kind of answer expected
- Concise – The content should be delivered between 2 to 3 minutes.
- Uniqueness – Showcase a unique combination of skills which you bring to the organization / team once you are hired.
- Real traits – Never put up irrelevant skills or traits at this moment. That can take away the attention of the interviewer from the fact that you have the relevant / required skills for the job.
Different relevant qualities which you can put in your answer
- Soft skills
- Technical skills
- Inter personal skills
- Educational qualifications
- Personal background
- Real life examples
How to prepare the answer?
- Draft different versions
- Proof reading from peers or seniors
- Revise the final answer
On a lighter note, interviewers don’t expect answers like given below during an interview.
If you have any questions for us or want to share your experiences, please do share in the comment section below. Our experts are here to support with their feedbacks, problem solving approach and experience sharing.